The world is changing and so is the consumer. Four out of five consumers use smartphones to shop, and mobile is predicted to overtake desktop usage by 2014 (source: 7 Mobile Marketing Stats That Will Blow Your Mind by Jay Baer). Brian Solis predicts that the ‘Connected Consumer‘ will be prevalent in the next 10-15 years. Who is the ‘Connected Consumer’? They will typically have had a digital footprint by the time they were 2, and will be a savvy shopper who scans QR codes, shops for deals in real-time, and points their camera phone at an item to learn more about it via augmented reality (source: Meet Generation C: The Connected Consumer by Brian Solis and his talk on the topic at the 2012 Social Media Success Summit). Augmented reality technology enhances the shopping experience by overlaying digital information such as images, text, audio or video onto an image that needs to be viewed through a smart device. One study found that people who were exposed to augmented reality had a higher likelihood to buy and buy at a higher price in comparison to those exposed to traditional advertising, and they also spent more time in the advertisement (source: Augmented Reality as a Marketing Strategy).
So how can brands best engage this new Connected Consumer?
Join the conversation as The Greater IBM Connection partners with IBM Smarter Planet to host a Tweet Chat (#P4SPChat) on the topic of Augmented Reality to Engage the Connected Consumer on Thursday, February 6, 2014 from 11am-12pm ET. (Link to join = http://tweetchat.com/room/P4SPChat)
Our panelists for the Tweet Chat will be Dr. Dario de Judicibus and Scott Duby
Dr. Dario de Judicibus (@DdJ_at_IBM), is the European Fashion Industry Leader for IBM Smarter Commerce Italy, specializing in Business Strategy, Knowledge Management, and Social Networking. He has written more than 250 articles in several magazines and newspapers, published 6 books, and speaks regularly at national and international conferences. He is also a prolific IBM inventor with 7 patents to his name. Learn more about Dr. de Judicibus in this interview and the links below:
- Dario de Judicibus on Wikipedia
- Total Reality Manifesto by Dario (Slideshare, 2010)
- April 2, 2012 Interview with Dario to talk about Total Reality (YouTube – in Italian)
- Aug 29, 2013 Introduction of Total Reality by Dario (YouTube – in Italian)
- Aug 29, 2013 Demo of Magic Mirrors by Dario (YouTube)
Scott Duby (@Scott_Duby), IBM Global Retail Solutions Leader for Smarter Commerce, has more than 20 years in the retail and consumer products industry. He brings a dynamic perspective having worked in various roles across the industry (retail, research analyst, consulting, and Fortune 500). He often speaks at retail industry events, has appeared on television news as in industry expert, published white papers, and been quoted in major news publications. In his current role, Scott leads the strategy, direction and management for the portfolio vision while overseeing operations related to solution development, strategic partnerships, and go-to-market business development activities. He advises software companies in the domains of e-Commerce, Distributed Order Management, Merchandising, Price Optimization, and Forecasting and Replenishment. Scott has US patents pending in the mobile shopping domain, and he was responsible for launching IBM’s Augmented Shopping Advisor application in partnership with IBM Research. To learn more about Scott, see the links below:
- IBM Insights on Business: Retail industry blog posts by Scott
- Demo of IBM Research Augmented Reality Mobile Advisor app by Scott (YouTube – also embedded in this post below)
So, please join the Greater IBM and Smarter Planet #P4SPChat Tweet Chat on 2/6/14 from 11am – 1pm ET as we discuss “Augmented Reality to Engage the Connected Consumer”. You can join at http://tweetchat.com/room/P4SPChat
AUGMENTED REALITY MARKETING TO CONNECTED CONSUMER questions:
- Q1: What’s new and different about the connected consumer?
- Q2: What’s really ‘augmented reality’ shopping?
- Q3: How can brands best engage with the connected consumer?
- Q4: What type of technology, applications and skills are needed to enhance in-store shopping experience?
- Q5: #IBM5in5 predicts buying local will beat online, how can technology help?
Greater IBM #P4SPChat Tweet Chat
The Greater IBM Connection is IBM’s global business and professional network that brings together current and former IBMers around the world. As the evolving technology industry increasingly calls for relationship led sales, marketing, branding, and recruiting, The Greater IBM Connection provides a tremendous opportunity to stay connected and engaged with market influencers. We hope you join and contribute today!
Are you interested in talking about building a Smarter Planet? Join us and discuss how businesses, governments and entire industries are adopting technologies to become efficient and effective. Follow the hashtag #P4SPchat. Tweet Chats are held on an adhoc basis, as scheduled.
- How To Tweet Chat
- Storify Recap of the Feb 6 Chat
- #P4SPChat Preview of the Feb 6 Chat
- Interview with Dr. Dario de Judicibus
- Learn more about the IBM Research Augmented Reality Mobile Advisor App at IBM Research and IBM Research blog
- How to Save Brick and Mortar Retailing (IBM Smarter Planet blog, July 2012)
- Generation C: The Connected Consumer (IBM)
- Meet Generation C: The Connected Consumer (Brian Solis)
- Meet The Connected Consumer (Infographic by MDG Advertising)
- Augmented Reality as a Marketing Strategy (Augmented Reality Trends, Nov 2013)
- 5 Ways The Connected Consumer is Transforming the Shopping Experience (Sept 2013 on LinkedIn)
- How To Reach and Influence The Connected Consumer (Fast Company, Jan 2012)
–By Julie Yamamoto, Program Manager, The Greater IBM Connection